In a world full of Roblox games and TikTok dances, kids today have a surplus of activities to keep them entertained. For parents like myself who remember flipping between four major TV channels, it may seem daunting to try to infuse our early childhood traditions into our parenting. I can vividly remember hearing my dad’s redundant “Back in my day,” stories. But now, as a mom, I get it! Each generation has grown up in a world totally different than the next. With all the changes and technological advancements that have been made over the years, it’s now up to my husband and me to keep our own childhood traditions alive within our family, even if they come with a bit of a twist!
Warning: Today’s kids are highly advanced. There’s no telling when they may stumble across a TikTok or Instagram post questioning the existence of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and even the Tooth Fairy. If you’re passionate about maintaining family traditions, it’s time to get the ball rolling!
Being a mother, one of my top priorities is keeping the magic of youth alive for my kids. That’s why I created my own personal twist on family traditions with The Enchanted Tooth Box®. This special tooth fairy box is the personal assistant that all parents wish we had! Serving as a magical bedside table box for your kids’ lost teeth, The Enchanted Tooth Box® plays the fun sleuth role of the Tooth Fairy.
We’re all familiar with the enchanted story of the Tooth Fairy. A child loses his or her tooth, places it under a pillow, and wakes up 25 cents, or if they’re lucky, a dollar richer! But there’s more to the story than that. A loose tooth is a unique opportunity to teach your children about dental care and how to save money.
Learning Good Oral Hygiene from The Tooth Fairy
Losing one’s baby teeth in anticipation of more grown-up teeth is t! It’s a milestone, just like puberty. However, what’s not part of the package deal is cavities! While your children are excited about losing their first teeth, gently introduce some of these practices into their daily dental care routine:
- Encourage them to brush their teeth and floss twice a day to help prevent oral bacteria- once in the morning when they wake and once at night before they go to sleep.
- Water should be used as a substitute for sugary drinks as often as possible. Consumption of water helps to flush out any oral bacteria.
- Junk food can cause acid-eroding plaque and oral bacteria in the mouth, resulting in children developing cavities. Tasty fruits like bananas, strawberries, and peaches can help to satisfy your children’s need for sweets.
- Growing children need as much calcium and magnesium as possible. Prioritize giving them calcium-rich and magnesium-rich to help with bone growth and prevent bone atrophy.
Learning Money Habits from The Tooth Fairy:
Due to inflation, The Tooth Fairy a.k.a you have to be more generous with the money left in your child’s The Enchanted Tooth Fairy Box. I recommend at least $5.
Here’s how to talk to children about what they received from The Tooth Fairy:
- Ask them what they want to do with this money. If their response is for something they can’t afford, guide them on how they can make up the difference by doing chores in the house or running a little business like a lemonade stand.
- Encourage your children to save the money they receive from The Tooth for something they really want. You can even reward them for saving money for an extended period. This would actually be their first unofficial introduction to “earning interest.” 🙂
- Kids usually lose their first teeth at 5 or 6 years old, so they might not know a lot about money. Here’s a chance to teach them about who’s on the $5 bill and how to identify other paper money and coins.
Teaching my children about The Tooth Fairy has been a great bonding experience for my husband and me. We always look forward to their excitement about reaching new milestones or getting something their heart truly desires. We might not be able to “compete” with TikTok, but like most parents, we learn how to adapt and see things through their eyes.
Founded by Dr. Joya Lyons in 2022, Enchanted Traditions, LLC is a Charlotte, North Carolina-based, Black-woman-owned company that makes children’s picture storybooks, keepsakes, and merchandise, all based on keeping family traditions alive. What started out as a mom excitedly wanting her daughter to experience the tradition of The Tooth Fairy like she did as a child turned into something much more magical. Our goal is to aid in the development of children through vivid imagination and nurture the family connection through family tradition, thus creating positive memories for children and a stronger family bond. For more, visit www.enchantedtraditions.com and follow us @enchantedtraditions on Instagram.